Updated: Feb 28
1) Amethyst, a type of quartz, has been associated with supernatural powers.
Amethyst is credited with being a natural tranquiliser, relieving stress and strain, soothing irritability, balancing mood swings, dispels anger, rage, fear and anxiety. Believed to alleviate sadness and grief, and dissolve negativity. Amethyst activates spiritual awareness, opens intuition and enhances psychic abilities.
2) The word Amethystos means “not drunk” in ancient Greek.
Because of its wine like colour early Greek legends associated it with Bacchus the God of Wine. This legend evolved to the belief that Amethyst could protect the wearer from becoming drunk!
3) The four biggest mining sources for Amethyst are Brazil, Bolivia, Uruguay and Zambia.
But the largest open cast amethyst vein in the world is in Maissau, Lower Austria.
4) Saint Valentine wore an Amethyst ring.
According to Roman legend, Saint Valentine himself wore a purple amethyst ring with an engraving of Cupid on it. As the holy man travelled around the Roman Empire, people would recognise the image on his ring and ask him to perform marriages.
5) Even fine amethyst has a modest price tag.
Large gems remain affordable as price per carat does not rise dramatically with larger size. This is because Amethyst was once as valuable as Rubies and Sapphires until the 1800’s when a large deposit was discovered in Brazil.
Don't miss out, sign up to our emailing list below.
To purchase clean and sustainable Amethyst visit our website Eco925.com